Thursday, August 30, 2012

DIY Jewellery Box



A couple of weeks ago when we went to Ikea to buy some new furniture, I bought myself the Moppe and decided to spice it up a bit, to my liking. Because Bron's Baby Shower came first, I didn't start on this thing until after.

Note: I do wish I had done a little bit more research and settled on something more solid before I had bought the materials and before actually doing it.



Materials Used:

  • Moppe (4 mini drawers) - Ikea
  • Acrylic paints. Colours: White (base), Dusty Pink, Coastal Blue & Wisteria (Purple) - Spotlight
  • Paintbrushes (mostly used flat, liner and round shapes) - Spotlight
  • Adhesive Stencil Stickers - Lincraft

I initially wanted that Victorian Vintage pattern all around - I also bought a piece of curtain material, which I though I could just paint over, like a stencil but didn't work. Then when I checked Lincraft out for different stencils, I came across the Adhesive Stencil Stickers, which was perfect! I bought the packet for under $4 each.

I painted the whole box white, 2 coats. Though it still came out really light, you can still see the difference from the original and the box looks a lot better white, than just that plain wood colour.

The waiting part for the paint to dry wasn't too bad and I didn't have to wait too long to do the second coat.


After my trial and errors with the curtains, was even going to attempt and make my own stencil (trace from the internet), I just went ahead and started painting with the stencils not thinking of the outcome. As I mentioned earlier, I initially wanted that Victorian Vintage Pattern, but as soon as I started using the floral stencils, I much preferred that and it was much easier to work with. Because of the change of mind with the patterns, the top part of my box is really odd compared to the rest of it, but it doesn't really matter as you can't really see it.

Because I was using various stencils and different colours for each one, I was able to start the next drawer and/or put another stencil elsewhere straight away. I only had to wait for the painting to dry if I wanted to overlap that pattern.

The following photos are the final results for my jewellery box. I organised the box as - 1st drawer: Necklaces, 2nd drawer: Fashion Bracelets, 3rd drawer: Earrings/Studs and rings, 4th drawer: bangles/bracelets

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...